Saturday, October 29, 2011

Linnane Armstrong

"My artwork is consistently inspired by the natural beauty of my surroundings, particularly here at home on Whidbey Island.
I look for interesting shapes & patterns within the landscape & translate them into dramatic compositions in my scenic images. I try to capture intense light & dark values, as well as patterns that transition between them."--Linnane Armstrong

Linanne begins by making rough sketches at the location of the scene she plans to capture. She may also take some photos to refer back to in her studio as she works on her finished design.
In the studio she makes a detailed drawing--incorporating those elements of value & pattern--to be transferred on to the "block" in a mirror image. In that way, the print will be in it's original non-mirror orientation. "My medium requires me to think of everything in 'negative' as I plan my image."
Because of the variability in hand-printing, each print in an edition is truly unique.





No comments:

Post a Comment