Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bev McQuary - Playing With Fire!

Bev's into lampwork glass beads & wirework jewelry.  Easy to say--not so easy to do!
Glass bead-making involves melting colorful Italian soda-lime glass rods around a mandrel with a propane/oxygen torch & then embellishing them.  The beads are kiln-annealed to remove stress in the glass. 

"The combination of color & techniques--while maintaining control of hot glass--is an exciting dance on an incredibly small palette that takes me out of myself & ito the moment" says Bev. Making the beads into wearable art is a completely different but exciting discipline.  "I use a variety of wireworking techniques to incorporate the glass beads into jewelry.  I work mostly with silver & ear-wires are always sterling silver.  I also use copper, brass, crystals, pearls, and found objects to create my 'baubles'."

1 comment: